Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Haitian Christmas

This past Christmas was unlike any I've ever had before and it wasn't only because I was in a different country and culture. There were many other factors including the replacement of blood relatives with my new Haitian family, substitution of classic holiday traditions with unfamiliar ones, and the unexpected responsibility of working in the clinic Christmas morning.

A couple days before Christmas, my good friend, roommate, and partner in crime, Julie, had to leave to go home due to some family issues that had recently come up. Kate had left earlier for a 3 week visit at home, meaning I was the woman of the house for a few weeks. Instead of staying in my house by myself, Vedane offered to let me stay with her fam in their house. Christmas is not as big of a celebration here as it is at home. They have a service at the church each night the week before and the week following Christmas. But there are no presents really, few if any decorations, no talk of Santa, and no Christmas trees. However, Vedane had put up a few lights and decorations and I had started talking to Wood about some of the traditions we have during Christmas like snow, lights, and Santa. Here they call Santa Tonton Noel, which in Kreyol means Uncle Christmas. On Christmas Eve I was explaining to Wood about Santa and that he was going to come that night and leave presents while we were sleeping. Well since he was never really told much about Santa, he didn't believe me.

My mom had sent some presents for everyone in the family, and Julie and I had bought some gifts for them when we were in the DR. I wanted to try and make this Christmas special for them, so I got up really early Christmas morning and went back to my house to get all the presents. I put each persons stocking and presents next to their heads so that when they woke up they would see it. Vedane opened her presents while we waited for everyone else to wake up. Finally we heard Wood screaming "Mesi Tonton Noel, mesi Tonton Noel, yeeaaaaaaa!" I went into his room, camera ready to capture the pure look of joy on his face. I got some great pictures of each of the kids that I will have to share with you all later, as I am having trouble getting pictures from my camera to my computer.

After everyone opened their gifts, I helped Wood put together his legos while Vedane made us breakfast consisting of spaghetti with chicken, salad, and fresh fruit juice. Although it may sound strange to have for breakfast, that is what they are used to and Vedane is a wonderful cook so everything she makes is great. After I finished eating, Dr. Rodney told me that they needed me to go down to the clinic to take an xray of a lady who had broken both bones in her Wrist. After I finished doing that, I decided to take a peak into the cholera house just to check how things were going. There was one nurse, Dr. Rodney's mom, trying to take care of about 16 patients herself. There were a few patients who had come early that morning or the night before who needed IV's started, and then there were IV's that needed to be changed and more IV fluids to be given. I decided to stay and help Dr. Rodney's mom until everything was under control.

Needless to say, Christmas was unlike any other one I've had before. Although I missed my family at home, missed the snow, and Christmas traditions, I had so many things to be grateful for. Being with Rodney, Vedane and the kids, watching the joy on all their faces, and knowing that despite our many differences, the love and hope that we all share as a result of the gift the Lord has given to us through His Son, was more than I could ask for this holiday season. I was just reminded that no bought present, no material thing that this world has to offer, or no amount of Christmas tradition could ever come close to filling me with that same kind of joy, peace, and love. I am so thankful for that gift the Lord gave me, and for His steadfast faithfulness despite ever changing circumstances.

Psalm 117:2
For great is his love toward us, and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever. Praise the LORD.

Psalm 86:15
But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.

Psalm 36:5
Your love, LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment