Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mobile Clinic

I am so thankful that my mom made it back to Haiti safely yesterday. She is going to be here for 2 weeks before both her and I are headed back to the states. My time here in Haiti quickly coming to an end, and I can honestly say that it is going to be bittersweet. In some ways I am more than ready to never smell the stench of cholera again, get called "blan" wherever I go, and just be able to blend in without constantly drawing attention to myself. On the other hand, I am terribly going to miss seeing Dr. Rodney, Vedane, Wood, Oley, and Alisha everyday, all of my friends in the clinic, and the other relationships I've made here with both the missionaries and the nationals.

I am trying not to think too much about that yet though, there are still many things I feel the Lord wants me to do here before I leave. One of those things being a mobile clinic to a place called Roque. It is about a 3 hours drive from the compound, and then a 2 and a half hour hike up a mountain to get there. Julie had done a couple clinics up there before, and we had both decided it was something we had wanted to do before our year in Haiti was up. I knew I wanted my mom to be able to experience this trip, so I planned it for when she was going to be here.

We are leaving tomorrow morning at 5 am in the morning with a team of 10: Dr. Rodney, Vedane, myself, my mom, Kate, Wadner, and the Hubele family of 4. Dr. Rodney and my mom are going to consult patients, Vedane and I will primarily be in the pharmacy, Wadner will do some translating and evangelism, John Hubele is going to drive all of us up there and help with various tasks, and Kate and the rest of the Hubele family are going to do a VBS for all of the children. We are going to do a half day clinic tomorrow, all day Saturday, and head home after church on Sunday.

This clinic is pretty much free...we ask each patient to pay 5 goudes which is about 12 cents, and then we give all the money back to the church. Pastor Christian has been working hard these past couple days to prepare sleeping arrangements, transportation for all the medication, and food and drink for everyone on the team. I have been on a medical clinic before, but still not quite sure what to expect. As Kate, my mom, and I sit here counting out the thousands of pills of various medications we are taking, I can't help but feeling a little anxious about making sure I've got everything we are going to need covered. But I know it is all in God's hands and I am trusting Him with all of the details and all the unknowns.

I would ask you to keep all of us in your prayers these next three days, that the people of Roque would be touched both physically and spiritually during this trip. I am confident that the next time I write it will be to tell of the many blessings and answers to prayer that we witnessed, to testify to God's faithfulness and the power of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment