Monday, March 22, 2010

Week at Milot

I had the opportunity to work at the hospital in Milot all last week. It was a busy and tiring week, but really good. I was able to run the C-arm in surgeries and the portable in the "ER". The team of doctors there were great to work with, and I was able to share with some of them a bit of my story and what I was doing in Haiti for a year. The good news is that while I was there, there were a noticable amount of patients who were healing and being discharged. What has been heartbreaking is that the majority of them have lost most or all of their families and homes. They have no jobs, no money, and no place to go. Many patients are trying any and everything to convince nurses and drs that they are not well enough to be discharged so that they can stay there and be taken care of. There is a huge need for some sort of homeless/rehabilitation center where these people could be given shelter, counseled, and mentored on how to begin rebuilding their lives. The depressing reality is that many of the people we have been treating will end up dying from starvation, malnutrition, or some other sickness. Medically speaking, the circumstances are bleak and hopeless. But in terms of eternal well-being, most of the earthquake victims are living with the hope and love of Jesus in their lives! Praise God that their true home is not here on this Earth! Many of them became saved after the earthquake and almost none of them have a bible. Julie and I have talked about trying to find a bunch of Kreyol bibles that we can take down there and pass out to these new believers. We would like to have plenty to pass out so we don't have to pick and choose who to give them to. We are looking into finding somewhere that sells Kreyol bibles in large quantities. Money to buy all these would be an issue, so please pray that God would provide the means to do so.
It has been great to be back on the compound here in Cap Haitian and I was able to be at the clinic yesterday for the first time in a week. We are headed back out to Milot this morning, and depending on the situation with the types of teams that are there and how busy it is, I'm going to try to determine out how often I should be working out there. I just got news today from Miss Prudence who is the head nurse at our clinic, that a team of nurses from the states is coming and they are working to get one of their husbands who knows how to do ultrasounds to come down here and teach me some of the basics. He is a doctor, but has done ultrasound in the past. One of the other nurses has lots of experience with EKGs and is going to teach me how to use the machine that they have here. God is so good! It has been one answered prayer after another, and I am so thankful for all of you supporting me with your prayers! We serve an unfathomobly powerful God who is limitless in what He can do and I am priviledged to be able to share with you that truth being evident in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment