Wednesday, February 10, 2010

First day at the clinic

Today was the first day at the Bethesda Medical Clinic. The clinic is on the compound where I live and is only a 2 minute walk from my house. I went with the team of nurses who is here for a week to chapel and devotions at the clinic at 8 before they opened. They introduced the team and then me separately and told everyone that I would be there for a year. All of the Haitian women were so excited and said that there were many single men here for me to marry hahaha :) It was really nice to have a laugh with everyone. We all then had a tour of the clinic from Prudence who is the head nurse. I found out that the x-ray machine is installed but not yet working. There are still some electrical problems that need to be looked at by someone trained to fix these types of machines. Anyone know someone who could come for a week and take a look at it? ;) Also, they have an ultrasound machine that does work...I just have no idea how to use one or what I would be looking at. One of the nurses who came for a week and I turned it on and tried to see if we could get a fetal heart rate of a young woman's baby to see if it was still alive. We really didn't know what we were looking at but we didn't detect any sign of a heart beat. The machine is quite nice, I only wish I was trained to use it effectively :/ After that, pastor Dan who had been taking the x-rays when they had had a working machine(2 years ago), helped me deep clean and attempt to organize the room. The room really hasn't been used in the passed 2 years so we had our work cut out for us. I was so thankful he knew a little English so we could somewhat communicate, as I know no Creole at this point. We made some progress and are able to at least move around and get to the film developer in the other room. At the end of the day we got to see the dental clinic which is right near Bethesda. There is so much to take in and learn. I haven't started language training yet but I hope to soon. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming but I would love to be able to communicate with them in their language. It is windy tonight, looks like it may rain. The birds here are very talkative, they make it hard to sleep passed 5 or so. It is their winter here so the weather has been very nice. The compound has huge trees that keep it well-shaded. I live with an older woman named Kate who teaches language at the school and Julie who is my age and she also works in the clinic as a physical therapist. Julie is still in Port but will be back on friday. Please pray for her safety and well-being while she's there. Please also be praying for someone who knows how to work on x-ray machines to come look at the one we have here soon. Also for me as I am going to start to try and learn ultrasound as best I can. I believe I start language class next week so please be praying that God would grant me supernatural ability to pick it up quickly. He is my rock and I will continue to cling to Him for my strength and peace. Thank you all so much for the many ways in which you have been, and are, supporting me. I would not be here without you. It is time for dinner now, rice and beans, meat and vegetable mix, fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, and cookies :) Until next time, all for Him!
Hannah

7 comments:

  1. Glad you made it safely and you'll continue to be in my prayers. I am so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Han, I hope that your day was productive and you are getting settled. We love and miss you tons and in our prayers continually-Momsie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah, we have been praying for you to get there safely, mission accomplished. I had lunch with your dad today and we talked about his trip and you. Blessings as we know that God will provide many great things for you adn for Him through you. Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey hannah sounds like you got your work cut out for ya. jump in head first and im sure you'll figure it all out. be safe talk to ya soon
    jeremiah

    ReplyDelete
  5. great to catch a glimpse of your life in Haiti thus far han! I'm praying for you and the work God has prepared :)
    Megs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hanna,
    I finally got your name right aren't you proud, can you fix the xray machine or are they going to have to count on you for the ultrasound only. We have been skiing today and had quite the workout as we skiied up to broken top and towards broken hand but it was so foggy that we had to turn around early. Did you have a bad tooth that had to be fixed. Also did you get my message about the current address to send your tax stuff too. Never heard back so I assume you did not get the message. Hope all is going well I know you will be a big help there and uplift everyone you come in contact with. Have you seen any pigs there. Haha
    See ya,
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hannah, If you can find out what type of xray machine that is. I can talk to Steve, Andy and Jim. They service and install xray equipment. Maybe they can send you some info? Any specs would help a lot. Tube type, generator, amount of volts needed. That sort of stuff. have a good one Hannah and good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete