Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A bit of "Haitian happiness"

Unfortunately Julie and I got to experience first-hand the effects of what the people here call "Haitian happiness." And then some. We both got some sort of virus, Julie first, then me soon after. Knocked us out for a few days each, but we praise God for our friends and family back home who have been consistantly going to battle for us in prayer, and we've both pretty much fully recovered. It poured all night last night and the rain is continuing to fall today. It is nice for the temperature change, but the roads are being flooded, as well is people's homes. There is just no infrastructure here and the town is not prepared to handle the rain properly. When I figure out how to upload pictures, I will try to give you a visual of what I mean.
Julie, Kate, me and a couple other ladies went grocery shopping on Saturday. We went to a store that is smaller than a 7-11 and with limited variety, so it didn't take us very long to find what we needed. Food there is fairly expensive so we were modest with our choices. We found everything we needed minus fresh fruits and vegetables. Instead of buying them in the store, we give money to our housekeeper to go into town and buy those for us because she can get a much better price than we ever could. After we were done shopping, we ate at the only "fast-food" restaurant in Cap Haitian called Lakay which means my house. I had a chicken sandwich and fries, which was excellent. Julie and I took our leftovers home, but decided to give them to some boys who were at our car asking for money on the way out. They went across the street, sat down, and immediately ate what we gave them.
Julie and I are meeting with our field director today to get any questions that we have answered and discuss when and with whom I will start language training. I hope it is right away, as it was really difficult to talk to my patients at the Milo hospital and give them instructions on what I wanted them to do. I was able to work at the Milo hospital on Monday, taking x-rays all day. We saw patients with every kind of imaginable device screwed into their bodies, holding their bones in place. I had never seen anything like it. But most seemed to be healing just fine and it was really nice to be able to finally feel like I knew what I was doing...for the most part ;) I don't think I will get a chance to go back there anytime soon, so I may not be able to take another x-ray for awhile. Please continue praying for where God would have me serve until the machine is up and running again. I am praying for patience and was recently reminded that God will renew our strength as we wait on Him, Isaiah 40:31. Thank you all again for your prayers, they are definitely being felt! May God pour out His blessings on you this week :)

1 comment:

  1. Han, It is great to hear from you and get some detail on how things are going and what you are doing. I didn't realize that there was a hospital, just the clinic. I am sure you are going to see alot of things over there that you have never seen before. I am so glad that you and Julie are feeling better-praise God. You are in my thoughts and prayers continually. I love you-Momsie

    ReplyDelete