Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Change of scenery

I had a wonderful visit back in the states for a couple of weeks(15th-1st). It was such a blessing to be able to share that time with my family an dfriends, and to be in God's beautiful creation of Bend Oregon.

I flew out of the Dominican Republic instead of Cap Haitien because it was cheaper. I had a little trouble at the border because I had been in Haiti longer than 3 months without a visa. I was warned beforehand by our leader, Dave Graffenberger, that this could be an issue because OMS didn't have connections in the DR that could help smooth out the process. I prayed most of the way to the border on the bus, was prepared to inform them(in Kreyol) of all I had been doing in Haiti the past 4 months, bribe them if necessary, and if all else failed shed a few tears. I'm so thankful it didn't come to that however, and praise God that He softened their hearts to let me pass after letting me explain and giving me a stern warning that next time I would not be allowed through.

I flew into LAX first for a 4 day Youg Life reunion of a Student Leadership project I was apart of in high school. It was like entering into a different world, or era even. Everything and everyone were moving so fast and the stark contrast from the poverty stricken streets of the poorest country in the Western hemisphere, to a place where the richest people in the world lived in complete luxery and excess, could not have been more opposite. It really was strange for me and I wasn't sure at first how to feel or respond to that reality. It took me a couple days of thinking and talking with God to come to the conclusion that I was grateful that the Lord was beginning to open my eyes and enlighten me to a few of the things that were happening outside of the world I grew up in. I thanked Him that He was turning my ignorance into awareness and asked Him to continue using all He was teaching me and all the resources He had given me to further His kingdom and bring glory to His name. This realization was also convicting, as the Lord reminded me that the day we see Him face to face we will be held accountable for all that we know.

I reconnected with some old friends and leaders and we shared all about where life had taken us the past few years. I was able to share about my time in Haiti, what the Lord is doing there, and what He is doing personally in my own life. I am really grateful for the time I had to fellowship, be encouraged, and pray with other believers. But by the end of the weekend though, I was ready for the clear fresh air and panoramic view of the snow covered mountains of Central Oregon...oh and to see my family of course :)

Despite a delayed flight and an extra night in Portland, I finally made it home and it was a sweet reunion with my family and closest friends. It felt surreal driving home all of us in one van back to the house where I had lived the majority of my past 24 years. I was overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude and thanksgiving as I marveled at the brilliant colors of the familiar scenery whisking by(it was strange driving that fast on such a smooth road after getting used to the driving in Haiti), and looked around at my beautiful family full of so much love. I thought about all of the many blessings the Lord had lavished upon us each individually and together as a whole. Luke 12:48, a verse that the Lord had first used to speak to my heart about missions immediately came to mind as it has in similar circumstances before: ''From everyone who has been given much, much more will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.'' The call to be faithful with everything God has given me and done in my life was once again presented so relevantly after being reminded of how vastly God has blessed me, and it was just as convicting as when I had first read it. I am so thankful for the Lord reminding me of this and allowing me to view this truth with a different, clearer perspective than I had before.

After we got home and had lunch, my mom, dad and I went for a walk near our house and did some catching up. That is one of my favorite things to do in Bend; walk outside and see the many beautiful things God has created right where I live. I then went to play in a slow-pitch softball game with a team of my friends(and brother and sister) that I'd played with in the years past. It was a great chance to see many of my friends, have some fun on the softball field, and share dinner together afterwards.

The following week was jam-packed with trying to see as many people as I could and do as many things as I could before I left. It included BBQ's with my grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins and friends, dinners with family, frisbee/volleyball, walks/runs with my sister, Bend Elks baseball game, night with the New Hope Youth Group, coffee with friends, singing worship with my brother and sister at the Shepherd's House and listening to my father preach, going to my home church and seeing friends and supporters, spending a night out in the woods with my family, praying around the campfire, movies, coffee dates with friends, getting frozen yogurt with siblings and cousins, a long walk at beautiful Shevlin Park with family, a trip to Costco and the hospital, visiting my old work, a movie and sushi with my brother and sister, and one last lunch out with my family. I was SO blessed to have been able to have all of these experiences in such a short time. I was fully reminded of just how good God is and I give Him all the praise and glory for allowing me to spend this time at home.

By the end of my trip I really felt that I was ready to be back. I missed all of my Haitian friends, Julie, and the simplicity of life there. I knew in my heart that I have a place in Haiti now for such a time as this, a work that God has begun there in and through me and a work that He is calling me to. The urgency to be there fulfilling that call was apparent as my time at home came to an end. I was also excited because my mom had the opportunity to travel back with me for a week and experience the country of Haiti and what I am involved in there. What a special time it was for us, and I asked her if she would write a post on my blog of her own experience during her time here. In the next post I will let her share about our week, the things God spoke to her about, and in what ways the trip has affected her.

Here are a few pictures of my time at home:

No comments:

Post a Comment