Friday, April 30, 2010

Not my will...

"But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those how are perishing..."
2 Cor 2:14-15

I am thankful for the time I was able to spend with the ultrasound tech from the states. Friday was my last day learning from him as he left Saturday morning. I was able to get a pretty good introduction to our machine and the basic concepts of obstetrical imaging. I am still praying fr God to send someone else who might be able to stay for longer and work with me daily on our machine. Our neighbors, the Yungbluts, know a friend from their church in Canada who is an ultrasound tech. Kelly has been emailing with him and he is thinking about coming to Haiti for a week and working with me on the ultrasound machine in the morning and doing maintenance work in the afternoons. So we are really praying that God will lay it on his heart to come and provide a way for him to do so. The guy working on our xray machine left Friday and we dont have everything up and running yet, but there was huge progress made and we feel it won't be long before we have xray capabilities. We have a mechanic who is a longterm missionary here and we are hoping to hear back from the manufacturers of the machine to give him more things to check and troubleshoot. We are expecting the new machine here before the end of next month, and we plan to have both machines up and running when all is said and done. The new aids clinic is almost finished and it looks beautiful! One of the rooms will be designated for our ultrasound and we have a brand new electric exam table to use in there as well. This is really exciting for the clinic, as having the imaging department fully functional will hopefully attract more patients and business, that will help keep supplies stocked, equipment running, and produce more opportunities to improve the healthcare and facilities at the clinic.

The new aids clinic

Inside the new building

Ultrasound machine
The days are getting hotter and hotter here, it's about time to start taking more than one cold shower a day. The Yunbluts have planted a garden in our yard. The corn has already sprouted and soon we will have tomatoes, beans, peas, and peppers. It will be nice to get our veggies out of our own garden, reminds me of my childhood days :) The pinapples are just about in full season and are SO delicious! Our cook, Elsie, makes wonderful pinapple juice that is perfect to quench your thirst on these hot humid days. I have been brushing up on my manual driving skills, but only around the compound so far. I am hoping to soon be able to drive myself to church, Milot, in to town, and drive other people places if they need me to. I am planning on driving myself and a few people out to Milot one day this week so after that I should pretty much be a pro :) But I would appreciate your prayers for safety during for this maiden voyage!

Our lovely gardin
Julie and I have been planning to put together mobile medical clinics in towns and villages that have little or no access to medical treatment. We have talked to our teachers at the seminary, Matt and Stacey Ayers, and they want to send evangelism teams with us on each clinic. We have received sufficient funds from the Canadian disaster relief fund to be able to do many clinics during our time left here. In order to do these mobile clinics, our number one need right now is to have a doctor with us. We are also hoping to have a couple nurses as well, but as long as we have a doctor we will still be able to do a clinic. I have been coordinating with our a guy at headquarters who is in charge of sending in short term teams to see if he could find teams of doctors and nurses who would be willing to come for a week and participate in one of these clinics. We are planning one for the beginning of June at a church that one of our nurses in the clinic goes to and whose husband is the pastor there. We have another one planned for the end of July to go back to Diquini Port au Prince, and already have a team lined up to go with us. We are excited for how God has presented the opportunity for us to serve Him in this way and is opening doors right and left to allow this to come together. I know that the Lord is sovereign and His perfect plan will always prevail, just as He made the promise regarding His purpose for Assyria and Babylon in Isaiah 14:24, "Surely as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will stand." God is in control of everything and I know that He can and will do imaginably more than anything we could ever hope for or imagine. I am constantly learning what it means to fully surrender all of my plans and my agenda to the will of God. So often my agenda is not even close to what the Lord's is and I have come to find out over and over again, that His way is so so so much better!

A few of my friends:Wadner, Brightner, and Remy

*Prayer requests*
-For Jesus to continue to be the center of our plans concerning the ministry of mobile medical clinics.

-For God to provide teams of doctors and nurses who would be willing to come help us with these clinics.

-That the Holy Spirit would soften the heart of this ultrasound tech from Canada to step out in faith and be apart of His work here in Haiti. Also that the Lord would provide financially and be apart of all of the details that need to be worked out for him to come.

-That my computer would be able to get fixed, or that God would provide another means of communication for me, so that I can talk with my family and friends back home and keep them updated...it completely broke down Friday night and it isn't looking like it will be able to be a quick fix.

-Continue to pray for the status of our xray machine, that God would provide a way for the one we have to be fixed soon, and that the one that is coming would arrive on time so that it can be installed and running as soon as possible.

-For the Bethesda Medical Clinic(where I work) that the Lord would do a mighty work through the staff who work there, and that Satan would have no grounds to stirr up division and dissension between any of the staff. Please pray that we would be a unified body through the work of the Holy Spirit, so that we can portray an accurate and effective picture of the love of Jesus through how we care for the patients and how we love one another.

2 comments:

  1. Hannah,
    I think of you so often and pray for you all the time. I so want to come back to Haiti, tried to come back to Milot but they were full of volunteers. I do intend to come back and maybe your mobile medical clinic may be a way that I can do that. I do not know when I would be available to come, probably not until fall, but I left part of myself there. I love reading your blog.
    My daughter is coming to Haiti to a mission called Open Door Haiti that is about 30 minutes from Milot. I tried to be able to come but there were many reasons for them to tell me no...so I wait upon God to let me know when I am to return! Please tell Julie hello and also Prudence. I sent her a pack of home birth kits that Stacey and I made up for her. Please tell Eneil that we think of him often! I sure miss all the fresh fruit! I love to read what God is doing in your life! Praying for you and for Haiti!
    Love Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah! I finally found your blog! It's amazing to hear about your experiences and how God is working through you in Haiti. The opportunities to serve there seem endless.

    So, a bit of news from Oregon; we spent last weekend in Seaside with Grandma and Grandpa. We dug razor clams, ate breakfast (daily) at the Pig-n-Pancake, and Ella had a fabulous time chasing seagulls on the beach. It was a lot of fun and reminded me of our numerous summer time adventures there with the whole fam.
    Love you and praying for you!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete